Womens Health

Fibroids & Infertility Treatment

It is possible that your infertility is caused by something that you know nothing about - fibroids. While 75% of women who have fibroids live with them without any problems whatsoever, the other 25% have difficulties because of their fibroids. Fibroids can pose a problem with fertility and can raise other important issues for women.

Understanding Fibroids

Fibroids are considered to be non-cancerous tumors, usually, that develop and grow in the pelvis. They are the most common in women between 30 and 40. Fibroids of this sort used to be removed through a hysterectomy. However, many women don't want to have this procedure done, as it removes the uterus and the possibility of ever conceiving. Doctors today have other options that they can give to women with fibroids to help with infertility issues.

Infertility Due to Fibroids

Fibroids can be the cause of infertility for a few reasons. The position of the fibroid may be pushing on the fallopian tubes and blocking the sperm from reaching the egg or blocking the egg from being released. Sometimes, fibroids will keep the egg from being implanted correctly or it will keep the embryo from growing. Many of these difficulties can cause women to have repeated miscarriages or to be unable to conceive. The women may not even know that they have the fibroids, and may struggle with infertility for a long time.

Infertility Treatment Options

In order to increase a woman's chances of becoming pregnant, she will need to have the fibroid removed. There are easy tests that a doctor can do to see if you have fibroids and to see if this may be the cause of your infertility. Most of the time, fibroids do not need to be treated and they do not cause infertility. However, if the fibroids are large or if they are keeping you from conceiving, you do have surgical options other than a hysterectomy.

Surgery For Fibroids

There are two surgeries that doctors can do to remove the fibroids while keeping the uterus in tact. Ask your doctor about having an abdominal myomectomy or a hysteroscopic myomectomy. Both procedures do carry the risk that the uterus may rupture during a future pregnancy and labor. Doctors will often recommend that any woman who has had these procedures have a Cesarean section. These two procedures are the best ones available at the moment for removing fibroids and keeping the uterus in tact. Doctors are constantly working on even more procedures that will be less-invasive and on drugs that can help with fibroids.

If you are having fertility issues, it is certainly worth exploring if you might have fibroids and if you are a candidate for these procedures. While this is not the most common cause of infertility, it is possible that this could be the cause and there are treatment options available to deal with it.

Login to comment

Post a comment