Shake Away Dandruff with Home Remedies
If your dandruff persists, even after using anti-dandruff shampoos, you may need to give the stubborn flakes a shake with one of the anti-dandruff self-care steps or home remedies. Reduce the risks of severe dandruff from recurring with our simple self-care tips and alternative remedies that can supplement medical or your drugstore dandruff shampoo. Worry no more about dandruff caking the shoulders of your basic black tees and spoiling your hair styles. Take action to reduce the risk of recurrence by following our simple list of tips.
Self Care Tips
In some cases you may not be able to eliminate dandruff, but you can take steps to lower your risk by doing the following:
- Manage your stress. Stress negatively impacts your overall health and makes you more vulnerable to conditions and illnesses. Stress can also aggravate existing conditions, such as dandruff. Find ways to relax and unwind and this will help to prevent or reduce your risk for dandruff--as well as for many other physcial conditions and illnesses.
- Shampoo regularly. By shampooing often you can reduce the oil released by your hair follicles that causes dead skin to clump into dandruff. Avoid styling products. Hair sprays, gels, mousses, can cause oil to build up on your scalp, and increase your flakes. Keeping your scalp clean is the best step you can take to reduce your risk of dandruff.
- Maintain a healthy diet. A diet with sufficient zinc, vitamin B, and essential fatty acids may help treat dandruff. What you eat greatly affects every aspect of your body from how your heart and kidneys are doing to how your hair and skin looks. The healthier you eat the better you will look--and feel.
- Get some sunlight. Sunlight gives off vitamin D, and may help get rid of dandruff. But, don't sunbathe because exposure to ultraviolet can harm your skin. Just remember to use sunscreen on your face and body as you get a little sunlight to reduce the risk of skin cancer. Also talk to your doctor about taking vitamin D supplements.
Complementary Home Remedies
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil extracted from the Australian tea tree has served as an antiseptic, antibiotic and antifungal remedy for centuries. Shampooing with tea tree proves effective in combating dandruff.
- Vinegar Wash: Vinegar wash has been promoted as one of the best home remedy to shaking away the flakes. To make vinegar solution: mix two teaspoons of vinegar with six teaspoons of water and massage into scalp before bed. In the morning apply the same vinegar solution and rinse hair with water.
Remember whatever anti-dandruff treatment you choose, never scratch your scalp. Since scratching may irritate your scalp or cause wounds on your scalp that may worsen your condition.